Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Teaching in 2009

Is it common for security professionals to have their (corporate) day job, and teach/write/speak in their spare time? I have my teaching schedule pretty well laid out for 2009. I will be teaching astronomy (16-week, 4 credit) in the Spring and Fall semesters for Scott Community College, and shorter Summer semester courses for SCC and St. Ambrose. The St. Ambrose course is 8 nights over 8 weeks, starting at the beginning of May, for 3 credits.

In addition, I am in discussions with a company in India to design two graduate security courses for an online university. The titles are, "Information Security Challenges and Solutions (3 sem. cr.)" and "Information Security Governance (3 sem. cr.)". If the timeline and price is agreeable, I may start on those yet this month.

Besides teaching, I will be giving an hour talk at the "Springfield Infragard Conference" on March 13th, in Springfield, Illinois on the topic of "Security, Privacy and Cloud Computing". (Yet to be written.) So, I should be kept pretty busy through the summer at least, which is a consolation since my company has decided to cut back on travel this year, and I won't be attending the 2009 RSA Conference in San Francisco. That's an excellent conference, and I will miss it, but I do plan on attending Black Hat Briefings in Las Vegas, in early August. I will be on a pre-conference panel, and I'll pay my own way if I have to.

No comments: